Powered By Blogger

Monday 4 February 2013

English Tenses

Hey everyone!

I am sorry if it took me sooooo long to update . I have been very busy lately. Just for your info, last week I did on tenses with my secondary students. I know it is easy but it is just a recap from the previous years to make sure everyone understands it well. I have put everything in the simple table below. Kindly read and see me if you have any inquiries. Since I have put it in a very simple way, even the primary students can learn this. Happy learning everyone!


Tenses
Statements
Questions
Notes
Simple Present
( talk about the present)
1. I read a book.
2. He has a book.
1. Do you like to read?
2. Does he walk to school?
* use the simple form of a verb: eat, drink, talk, etc.
Present Continuous
(talk about what is happening at the moment)
1. I am talking.
2. They are walking.
3. It is eating.
1. Am I replacing him?
2. Are we making this?
3. Is it raining?
* use the ‘be’ + verb and add  ‘-ing’: is walking,  am talking, are taking, etc.
Simple Past
(talk about actions that happened at a definite time in the past)
1. I walked to school.
2. He swept.
3. They wrote it.
1. Did you walk to school?
2. Did he sweep?
3. Did they write it?
* usually add ‘-ed’ at the end of the word: talked, walked, etc. (regular verbs)
* (irregular verbs): write=wrote, sweet=swept, etc.
* for questions, do not use past tense for the verb as we already have the word 'did'
Past Continuous
(talking about an activity in the past)
1. They were talking to me.
2. It was raining.
3. He was running.
1. Were they talking to me?
2. Was it raining?
3. Was he running?
* use the ‘be’+ past tense of a verb: was talking, were walking, etc.
Future
(Talk about an action that will take place in the future)
1. We will go.
2. He will take part.
3. They will come.
1. Shall we go?
2. Will he take part?
3. Will they come?
*add the word ‘will’ in front of the verb: will go, will take, etc.
*for questions, use shall if the subject is ‘I’ or ‘we’

 

No comments:

Post a Comment